Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm big, you're small, I'm right, you're wrong.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience of not posting this earlier. I was caught up with other assignments and it slipped my mind. Hopefully I can get the hang of this better as the semester goes on.

Anyways, to get on with it. I found Leontes very... wrong. He's okay with bashing out a newborn baby's brains? What is wrong with this man?! He's so blind to his own suspicions and viewpoint that he doesn't see that NOBODY ELSE agrees with him. Even when the Oracle gives him his prophecy, Leontes is wondering, What is this garbage? I thought I was right?


I'd like to take Kara's idea about Shakespeare being a social commentator and run with that for a bit. He must have known someone like Leontes. It's hard for us to think up someone who is so incredibly wrong all the time like he is. Even when faced with the blatant truth and a doubled forewarning that his life will be totally screwed up if he doesn't see the truth, Leontes still doesn't listen. People in Shakespeare's society may have had somewhat of the same mindset, but in terms of being intolerant to others and quick to jump to conclusions. Even in our world today, there are still people like that. People who run with the smallest grain of inconsistency and make a romance in their own mind about how they've been wronged or some other complaint. We all know those people. This is just Shakespeare's way of giving us a broader look at ourselves, by placing these people into his plays and blowing their characteristics into obviousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment