Thursday, November 10, 2011

Quotes for the Project

Deception:


"I follow him to serve my turn upon him."
Othello (I, i, 42)


Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed.
Othello Act 3, scene 3, 155–161


"O, what men dare do! What men may do! What men daily
do, not knowing what they do!"
Much Ado About Nothing (IV, i, 19-21)

Acting:


If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction.
Twelfth Night Act 3, scene 4, 118–128


Suit the action to the word, the word to the action, with this
special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of nature:
for any thing so o'erdone is from the purpose of playing, whose
end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold as 'twere the
mirror up to nature: to show virtue her feature, scorn her own
image, and the very age and body of the time his form and
pressure.
Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 17–24


O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I!
Is it not monstrous that this player here,
But in a fiction, in a dream of passion,
Could force his soul so to his own conceit
That from her working all the visage wann'd,
Tears in his eyes, distraction in his aspect,
A broken voice, an' his whole function suiting
With forms to his conceit? And all for nothing,
For Hecuba!
What's Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba,
That he should weep for her? What would he do
Had he the motive and the cue for passion
That I have? He would drown the stage with tears,
And cleave the general ear with horrid speech,
Make mad the guilty, and appall the free,
Confound the ignorant, and amaze indeed
The very faculties of eyes and ears.
Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 550–566

Infidelity:


"Here's ado to lock up honesty
And honor from th' access of gentle visitors."
The Winter's Tale (II, ii, 9-11)


"Is whispering nothing?"
The Winter's Tale (I, ii, 284-285)


"Let every eye negotiate for itself
And trust no agent; for beauty is a witch
Against whose charms faith melteth in blood."
Much Ado About Nothing (II, i, 178-180)


O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss,
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger:
But O, what damnèd minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!
Othello:
O misery!
Othello Act 3, scene 3, 165–171

No comments:

Post a Comment