Monday, December 12, 2011

The Final Discussion

I know that I've gained a deeper appreciation for Shakespeare this semester. All the lessons that I've learned from it can't have been learned another way. Whether it combating jealousy or analyzing the change of heart a fool can cause, I've learned valuable life lessons from what I've read. I've talked with my high school friends about it and pumped them up for reading more Shakespeare in class because in high school it certainly isn't the most interesting thing. I definitely think of Shakespeare more critically than I did at the beginning of the semester. Words are the motive of understanding a character's true intentions and loyalties, as seen with Iago and Othello. Also, I feel out music video raised interest in the various issues that Shakespeare discussed besides love.

There was a discussion during the Engaging Shakespeare night about how Shakespeare phrases things in such a way that they are universal truths and can connect with anyone. I now really do believe that. I've recommended so many people to the class, and every one of them seemed genuinely interested after I've talked about these truths and what we did with the music video.

I'm very glad that I took this class. It's been an awesome semester, and I've fallen truly in love with Shakespeare. I hope that as I get older, I can help people to understand it and appreciate it better than they would have. Sometimes all you need is a little push.

No comments:

Post a Comment